constant voltage or amperage

sunil shaw skshaw at
Thu Sep 11 16:55:20 EST 1997

For DNA sequencing gels, I use constant power. I seem to remember that heat output is proportional to power, and for sequencing gels, it really is critical to run it at the right temp.

Rob Kirkpatrick (kirkpat at wrote:
: We had a "discussion" in the lab yesterday about whether to use constant
: voltage or constant amperage when running an acrylamide gel (protein or
: DNA).  We decided constant amperage was better in all cases but our
: arguments were weak.  Does anyone out there actually prefer one or the
: other?

: Rob

: --