constant voltage or amperage

sunil shaw skshaw at jimmy.harvard.edu
Thu Sep 11 16:55:20 EST 1997

For DNA sequencing gels, I use constant power. I seem to remember that heat output is proportional to power, and for sequencing gels, it really is critical to run it at the right temp.

Rob Kirkpatrick (kirkpat at cc.umanitoba.ca) wrote:
: We had a "discussion" in the lab yesterday about whether to use constant
: voltage or constant amperage when running an acrylamide gel (protein or
: DNA).  We decided constant amperage was better in all cases but our
: arguments were weak.  Does anyone out there actually prefer one or the
: other?

: Rob

: --