Strange contaminant in cell culture

Richard P Grant rgrant at see.sig.for.address
Fri Sep 12 05:26:35 EST 1997

(Didn't see the original).

Tom Vink (tvink at wrote:
} 9321531k at (Obaid Y. Khan) wrote:

} >Hi

} >We have been having some problems with our tissue
} >culture
} >which might be a contamination.
} >What we are experiencing is round specks or particles

Does it go away when you filter your FCS?

Brownian motion can make debris look as if it's ... alive!

} A DNA staining of the particles could be helpful to prove if it is an
} organism or just debris.

Although sometimes debris can give a false +ve for (eg) mycoplasma tests.

Richard P. Grant  MA  DPhil          University of Oxford | rgrant at molbiol  FFPGP                |    ox ac uk
------# 'At this time we are currently boarding...' - heard at JFK #------