Tunnel assay

Richard Lightfoot rlightfoot at CELL-SCIENCE.ORG
Fri Sep 12 08:53:51 EST 1997

the fixation method for the tissue has been critical in our hands for
the elimination of background using a fluorescent TUNEL protocol. acidic
fixatives like carnoy's or bouin's chew up the DNA enough that all cells
will label, although as you describe the positive cells will still label
better. the only acceptable fixative we have found is fresh 4%
paraformaldehyde in PBS, with overnight fixation followed by storage in
80% ethanol. if anyone out there has found another good fixative, please
let me know, as the PFA is suboptimal for some of the
immunohistochemistry we are trying to do on the same tissue. dick
lightfoot