Digital camera for electrophoresis

Greg Baker gbaker at u.arizona.edu
Fri Sep 12 22:32:25 EST 1997

D.Larkin wrote:

> Our lab obtained a demo version of the Kodak DC-40.  The system
> functioned adequately but we weren't impressed with the $2000 price tag
> for the image analysis software that you are required to buy in order to
> set the appropriate exposure time.  Basically, the software does the
> same analyses as NIH Image AND sets the exposure time.  We didn't buy
> the system because  it appeared over priced.  However, when we tried to
> return the demo unit virtually no one at Kodak digital imaging division
> new what address we should return it to, or to whom at Kodak.  Normally
> we have had reasonable customer support from Kodak, but our experience
> with the digital imaging division was poor.  Did they mention they are
> discontinuing this camera?
> Good luck in your search.  If you find a good alternative, please let us
> know.

My lab just received one of these cameras this week.  I to was concerned
about the exposure time needed to get images from gels after seeing the
original posting.  Especially, since the order been placed before the
oringal posting.  So I called Kodak digital imaging and inquired about
whether I needed their software.  I told them specifically that I wanted
to image gels and do quantitaiton with Sigma scan and NIH image, which
my lab already owns.  The technical support person, who was not much
help, told me that I would have no problem long as I also purchased the
electrophoresis accessory kit, which I had also ordered.  Today I tried
using the camera for the first time. I was not able to get any image
remotely close to those Kodak shows in their DC40 pamplets.  I am very
unsatisfied with this camera and the service of Kodak technical
support.

Needless to say the camera will be returned Monday morning.  Also no one
made any reference to the fact that this camera is being discontinued.

Greg