mRNA/total RNA prep from skeletal muscle

ORAC dgorski at xsi-te.net
Mon Sep 15 15:20:08 EST 1997

In article <341D7983.41C6 at hotmail.com>, craig_garen at HOTMAIL.COM (Craig
Garen) wrote:

>Hello
>
>        Does anyone have any clever ideas for the isolation of mRNA from
>skeletal muscle (I'm using rabbit).  Also what is the most efficient
>means of isolating total RNA.  There are a number of protocols available
>and I simply want to know which is best.
>
>Thanks so much, Craig.

It's been four or five years since I've done this. However, I always had
good luck freezing the tissue in liquid nitrogen, grinding it to powder
using a mortar and pestle (previously baked, of course, to get rid of
RNAses), and then using RNAzol. I used to isolate RNA preps from rat
skeletal muscle and various other rat organs.

--
MY E-MAIL ADDRESS HAS BEEN SURGICALLY ALTERED TO HINDER SPAM TO ME.
TO GET AT MY REAL E-MAIL ADDRESS, DELETE THE HYPHEN!

ORAC                        |"A statement of fact cannot be
a.k.a.                      | insolent."   ORAC
David H. Gorski, M.D., Ph.D.|
University of Chicago       |