Strange contaminant in cell culture

Kevin Mulcahy k.mulcahy at sheffield.ac.uk
Mon Sep 15 07:32:11 EST 1997

> Tom Vink (tvink at xs4all.nl) wrote:
> } 9321531k at clinmed.gla.ac.uk (Obaid Y. Khan) wrote:
>
> } >Hi
>
> } >We have been having some problems with our tissue
> } >culture
> } >which might be a contamination.
> } >What we are experiencing is round specks or particles

> Brownian motion can make debris look as if it's ... alive!

When I was generating mouse hybridomas for monoclonal antibody
production a few years ago I experienced the same phenomena as Tom Vink:
"Round specks or particles which appear to float around in the medium
and also sit on the cell surfaces; size seems to be like an average
bacterial cocci; they don't however take over the culture". We were
unable to culture them separately (i.e. without cells) and were at a
loss as to what they were. In the end we sent them to a company to check
them out to see if they were protozoan, bacterial, fungal etc but they
were also completely unable to detect any micro-organism and could not
get anything to grow from the samples we sent them. So we came to the
assumption that these particles were indeed cellular debris (blebs) and
that their movement was caused solely by brownian motion.

Cheers,

Kevin Mulcahy.