Digital cameras for electrophoresis

Robert M. Horton, Ph.D. rmhorton at ATTOTRON.COM
Fri Sep 19 15:07:08 EST 1997

> Re: Digital camera for electrophoresis
>
> > Our lab obtained a demo version of the Kodak DC-40......
>
> > Did they mention they are discontinuing this camera?
>
> With so many new and less expensive digital cameras available now, has
>
> anyone rigged up their own gel documentation system (with the
> appropriate software)? How about Snappy, the video snapshot capturing
> device? Has anyone tried to take a picture with a video camera and
> capture it digitally with Snappy? Inexpensive possiblities but I'd
> like
> to hear from the pioneers. Thanks.

There was a paper in BioTechniques last year about using a Connectix
QuickCam. I think this may be the reference:

Scott TM, Dace GL, Altschuler M
Low-cost agarose gel documentation system.
Biotechniques 1996 Jul;21(1):68-70

They used (if this is the right ref) the black and white version, which
now costs less than $100. I used one of these for about a year, with a
magnifying glass as a second lens, and a band-pass filter that cost
about twice what the camera did. It worked OK, but I was using it from
an old 386 with only a VGZ (i.e., 16 color, 4 of which are shades of
grey) display, so it was hard to see the picture when you were taking
it.

The new color version is still acouple of hunderd dollars, but it has
higher resolution than the black and white QuickCam.

I think the Snappy is a great idea; my brothers in law each have one,
and they take great pictures. If you want to play with taking gel
pictures with video cameras, be aware that video cameras are more
sensitive to infrared light than polaroids are. Thus you need to block
both high and low wavelengths.

--
              Robert M. Horton, Ph.D.
 0  []~ ~ ~ ~ http://128.120.169.130 ~ ~ ~ ~[]  0