Inexpensive enzyme cooler: supplier?

David Micklem drm21 at
Sun Sep 21 16:49:35 EST 1997

In article <34257E7B.404A at>, Harry Witchel
<Harry.Witchel at> wrote:

>hi folks --
>        Anyone know of a supplier of inexpensive enzyme coolers (ie
>storage boxes for enzymes which keep the enzymes cold if they are out of
>the freezer for short periods.  Inexpensive is 50 pounds sterling (150
>pounds is expensive).  We used to used aluminium blocks drilled for
>tubes, but these are no longer available.  Also, we need to order from
>someone in the UK.
>        Thanks,
>                Harry

How about the aluminium blocks that fit into Techne or similar dri-block
heaters?  Phillip Harris list a 20 x 1.5ml block for 78UKpounds (Techne) or
a Grant version that is for 24 x 1.5ml, 59UKpounds.  We use one for exactly
the purpose you suggest.  Its nice to tape a bit of
foam/polystyrene/whatever around it so's your hands don't stick to the
metal :-)

D.R.Micklem,                                Time flies like an arrow...
Wellcome/CRC Institute,            Fruit flies like a banana.
Cambridge CB2 1QR, UK               Email:drm21 at
Unsolicited mail will incur a US$100 processing charge.