Q: Trouble with Kindergarden Ligation (SspBI/ApaI)

brett brett at BORCIM.WUSTL.EDU
Mon Sep 22 08:21:10 EST 1997

>Hi you all molbio gods and experts!
>

>Now I'm spending more than two weeks with a simple PCR-based
>muatgenesis using PCRing a 400bp fragment (using PowerScript from
>PAN systems, it's like Pwo or Pfu). I simply can't insert a sticky
>fragment: I'm using two primers (one carries the mutation) to
>generate the PCR fragment. Each primer has a
>restriction site at one end (SspBI and ApaI), flanked by four
>additional bases (...GGGCC|C-TATT (5' overhang) for the ApaI site,
>GAGC-T|GTACA... (3' overhang) for the SspBI site). The fragment I get
>should be that what I wanted to amplify, I tested this with a digest.
>Then I cut out the SspBI-ApaI fragment from the plasmid where I want
>to introduce the mutation, the PCR fragment is trated in the same way
>to get sticky ends. The fragments the are gel purified and ligated
>(T4 ligase, overnight at room temp). Then: either no colonies or as
>much as on the control plate (excised vector only).
>
>What's happening here? Actually this shouldn't be a problem for
>molbio beginners in their first lesson. Have you any ideas?
>Could it be that four bases are not enough for the enzymes to find
>and cut their sites?
>
>All input is welcome!
>
>Wolfgang

Well, maybe you took steps to avoid Taq activity in your resriction digests of
the PCR.  If not, I'd check that out...SDS/ProtK treat (yes, this is important),
phenol extract, EtOH ppt, then digest.
Brett Lindenbach
brett at borcim.wustl.edu

Dept Molecular Microbiology