GST-fusion proteins

Laboratory of Dr. Kevin D. Sarge goodson at pop.uky.edu
Wed Sep 24 08:37:26 EST 1997

Tina Myers wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does anyone have any information regarding fusion of the GST gene to
> the COOH-terminus of a protein, i.e., can direct fusion be done or is it n
> necessary to have a spacer?  Thank you for your input.
>
> tina at borcim.wustl.edu

It's been my experience that it varies by protein.  If the C-terminus of
your protein is exposed to water hydrophylic and unstructured then it
usually isn't a problem, but if this isn't the case, it is usually
necessary to have an adapter (if it is possible at all).  Try doing a
hydropathy plot on your protein's AA sequence (if the structure isn't
known).

Michael