UV sterilization of tissue culture lab

John Rebers jrebers at nmu.edu
Mon Sep 29 08:27:07 EST 1997

We are in the process of remodeling our science building, and will probably
include a tissue culture lab. In discussions with the architects, the
subject of overhead UV lights for room sterilization came up. The
architects said there seems to be little evidence that including UV lights
is effective in reducing contamination in a culture facility, since the
lamps quickly become solarized and ineffective. Any comments about this, or
tips for good sources for culture lab design in general, would be appreciated.

Thanks
John Rebers
Department of Biology
1401 Presque Isle Avenues
Northern Michigan University
Marquette, MI  49855
906-227-1585 (office)
906-228-3617 (home)
906-227-2013 (FAX)
e-mail address: jrebers at nmu.edu
Note: do not send mail to jrebers at pop.mail.nmu.edu or to jrebers at VM.NMU.EDU
- these may appear in the header, but will not work for my address.  Thanks!