Primer Degradation?

Kevin Gilbride gilbride at bu.edu
Tue Sep 30 13:16:32 EST 1997

I need some advise regarding the stabilty of primers. I am using a primer
set which consists of a 25 and 22 mer oligos with a balanced AT / CG
content. My main concern is a laddering of bands appearing in the dH2O
control lanes. It is not a contamination, my other primers are free of
this problem, including Beta Globin and Actin sets. My water source
remains constant and when I have tried other sources the problem persists.
I have tried storage at 4º, -20º and -80º avoiding multiple freeze thaw.
The primers were synthisized by Oligo's Etc. they work initially upon
arrival but soon after the waters show these bands, it wouldn't be that
bad but they are in right in the range of which my positive bands appear.
Any advise or comiseration would be welcome.

Thanks

KJ Gilbride
Mallory Institute of Path.
BUSM