An interesting puzzle - Pierce's "Gentle Ag/Ab elution buffer"?

Fri Apr 3 22:26:41 EST 1998

I am trying to understand what that could be...

        Background:

Pierce claims that this "magic" elution buffer is in every respect better than
conventional low pH elution, giving better recoveries and much better
preservation of antibody activity. This does not appear
to be a pure marketing lie - another company, Sterogene, sells
"Actistep" elution buffer and claims practically the same. Sterogene
specializes in industrial applications so I tend to believe there is some
truth to the claims.

        What is known:

efficiently disrupts antigen/antibody interactions, pH is 6.5, is incompatible
with phosphate, is not chaotropic agent, is dialyzable out (the latter told by
Pierce tech support, so is not nesessarily correct :-)) .

I am pulling my hairs out trying to understand what that could be... My best
guess is some mild ionic detergent like CHAPSO and the likes but
incompatibility with phosphate stumbles me...

Your ideas, please. TIA,

        Dima