reusing plasmid maxiprep columns

Wolfgang Schechinger wgschech at med.uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Apr 7 17:15:43 EST 1998

hi all,

I noticed that plasmid maxi columns e.g. nucleobond
(clontech/macherey-nagel) or those from quiagen may be re- used
several times.
currently, I use them only for the same plasmid (from XL-1 blue) and
wash them with plenty of water after eluting the plasmid. has anyone
tested how long the columns will leak plasmid, e.g. by repeating the
prep without bacterial lysates and checking for plasmids in the elute
by transforming aliquots ef the elute into bacteria? In other words,
does anyone dare to use the columns for different preps? what
lifetime of the columns may be expected?
I (and probably many others out here) would appreciated any data or
even references on that!

Cheers and happy easter (if applicable)

Wolfgang

-----
This message is RNAse free - please don't touch!
-----
Wolfgang Schechinger
University of Tuebingen
email: wgschech at med.uni-tuebingen.de
http://www.medizin.uni-tuebingen.de/~wgschech/start.htm
-------
!Junk mail is *not* appreciated!
SPAMs will be answered automatically by sending my 128MByte virtual memory file.
This is *NO* joke.
------
usual disclaimers apply
------