probe specificity for northerns gel quantification

Dom Spinella dspinella at chugaibio.com
Wed Apr 8 11:09:45 EST 1998

> Hi! This may be a stupid question. I want to quantify gel loading in northerns (mouse
> cells) using human house keeping gene probe. Can one do it sucessfully or will there be
> any problem? Is this an acceptable method for publication in front-row journals? What is
> the easiest and successful method? Obviously, I do not have a mouse house keeping gene
> probe. thanks

Not only is it acceptable -- it is essential.  Many people use Beta
Actin or better, glyceraldehyde phosphate dehydrogenase (GAPDH) for this
purpose.  If you need it, I can give you the sequence of a primer pair
that will PCR amplify a fragment of the mouse GAPDH gene so you can use
it as a probe. Just e-mail me. Cheers.
--Dom Spinella