DNA electrophoresis nightmare

Dom Spinella dspinella at chugaibio.com
Wed Apr 8 11:04:19 EST 1998

> Hi 'netters',
> Now I really screw up. I try to run my DNA in gel, but put red wire
> in negative and black wire in positive. My dye front move backwards
> instead of forwards. Not good, my boss is killing me now. Quick,
> quick, how can I sort my error?
>
> This molicular biology is tricky,

Colin:
We've all done this at one time or another! Your error is common enough
to have been given a name:  "retrophoresis".  There is also "preparative
retrophoresis"  -- the name for extensive butanol extractions of the
upper buffer chamber to recover precious samples lost in this way.  Oh
well -- it least its a mistake you won't likely make again. Cheers.
--Dom Spinella