How to eliminate phages

Heiko Koch Heiko.Koch at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Apr 15 08:38:30 EST 1998

Hello together,

sometimes we have phages in our over expressing cultures (e.g. Bl21
DE3).  The cell are growing in a normal way up to an OD590 of about
0,7. Suddenly they phage away.  Having more than one Erlenmeyer Flask
this phenomena can  appear in one while the other one is OK. Therefore
we assume that the contamination is in the flasks. And that it could
not be solved by the usual method of autoclaving ( 20 min at 120°C, 1
bar).

Does anyone know a way to kill the phages??????

by Heiko
Heiko.Koch at ruhr-uni-bochum.de