Costs of making it from Scratch?

Zophonias O. Jonsson zjons at vetbio.unizh.ch
Sun Apr 19 06:44:38 EST 1998

In article <bear-1804982316480001 at amy.his.com>, bear at his.com (The
Alexanders) wrote:

> I also need to make media, plates, antibiotics (easy), and top agar.  We
> do buy competent cells so that helps.
>
> Any refs. on saving money vs time?  I need real facts.

This is probably not what you want to hear, but I would suggest that you
or someone else in the lab made your own competent cells.

 Follow the protocol of Inoue, H. et al. Gene 96 (1990) 23-28, and grow 1
L or so of your favourite strains.  A couple of years ago I spent half a
week together with a fellow from a neighboring institute making
ultracompetent stocks of the most used strains in the two labs.  Two years
later we still have enough cells in stock.  Buying the cells from a
company would have cost some 50.000 SFr  (30.000 $).  Not bad for a few
days work (material cost is negligible) and with this kind of savings I am
sure that your lab can afford a P2 pipette for you, and even one more
computer.

Just an Idea!

Zophonias

Zophonias O. Jonsson
Institut fur Veterinarbiochemie               Tel: (41-1)-635-54-75
Universitat Zurich-Irchel                     Fax: (41-1)-635-68-16
Winterthurerstrasse 190
CH-8057 Zurich
Switzerland