Coiled-coil domains

Simon Hoffenberg simonh at bcm.tmc.edu
Wed Apr 22 10:47:12 EST 1998

Dear netters,

I am trying to find homologues for a protein with coiled-coil structure.
The problem is that because of common elements in such structures the
BLAST search brings a lot of unrelated proteins, like collagen. So it is
difficult to determine what homology is real and what not. There was a
paper on "decoiling" where 30% of all leucines where removed and that
allowed identification of related proteins. The authors do not mention how
to do it actually and I think it was done kind of manually. Does anybody
know of a WWW program that will do it or at least will find a way around?
If anybody is dealing with similar problems and would like to share there
experience I will be very grateful.

Simon Hoffenberg
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX