Exon orientation

Robert M. Mihalek mihalek at formula1.smtp.anes.upmc.edu
Wed Apr 22 08:39:24 EST 1998

In article <6h8ftl$6e3 at gazette.bcm.tmc.edu>
simonh at bcm.tmc.edu (Simon Hoffenberg) writes:

> Dear netters,
>
> Recently comparing a human cDNA sequence with a genomic sequence in the
> GenBank, I found something which looked like a complete gene sequence. It
> had 15 exons and 14 introns. What was really amazing is that the last exon
> (almost half of the total cDNA) was 80 kb from the previous one and had an
> opposite orientation. What do you think, is it really possible?
>
> Simon Hoffenberg
> Baylor College of Medicine
> Houston, TX

Talk to Ron Davis there at Baylor about the dunce gene ( a gene
involved in learning and memory in Drosophila). I think that one of the
introns in dunce is about 100kb and has several genes inside it. I
don't know about the reverse orientation of the exon: that's a new one
to me.

Cheers,
Bob Mihalek
University of Pittsburgh
Department of Anesthesiology

please remove the name of the RACE SERIES for e-mail replies