Boiling ethidium bromide gel

Fri Apr 24 10:20:29 EST 1998

At 09:56 AM 4/24/98 +1100, Jennifer Skerratt wrote:
>Does anyone have any information (preferably not just gut feelings) on
>how safe it is to boil the gel up in a microwave with the ethidium
>bromide already in it. Does the ethidium bromide vaporise with the
>steam?
>thanks Jenny

I do it all the time and EtBr stays put. This way, I've been able to reuse
agarose at least 5 times without having to add significant amts of EtBr. The
savings are substantial too. This, of course, is only for analytical purposes.

Dr. Hiranya Sankar Roychowdhury
Plant Genetic Engineering Lab.
New Mexico State University
Las Cruces, NM 88003