Unusual behaviour of protein on SDS-PAGE gels - any suggestions?

David das1002 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Apr 24 07:54:25 EST 1998

A protein that our group is studying on shows strange behaviour on
SDS-PAGE gels:

if not boiled before loading, it runs as one band, whereas if one boils it
first, it runs as two bands: one of these runs the same as the band one
sees without boiling, but the strange thing is that a second band appears,
which migrates *less* than the first one (by an amount equivalent to a few
kDa), so it cannot just be a degradation product. If anyone has any
suggestions as to why this might be happening, please let me know, and
I'll pass them on; has anyone seen something like this before?

Thank you very much,

David

das1002 at cam.ac.uk