[Q]: Alkaline hydrolysis of RNA

Ned Mantei ned at neuro.biol.ethz.ch
Sun Apr 26 06:02:12 EST 1998

In article <3540CCD5.432F38CE at SpyRing.com>, Biologist at SpyRing.com wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> after searching all available textbooks just to find out that I could
> find it.
>
> My question is:
>
> What pH would be sufficient to hydrolyse RNA and what alkaline would be
> most adequate? NaOH? KOH?
 If you want to hydrolyze down to mononucleotides, a typical treatment
would be 0.2 M NaOH overnight at 37 C or for about an hour or two at 65 or
75 C. If you want to preserve high molecular weight RNA, even pH 8 or 9
can be a problem.

--
Ned Mantei
Dept. of Neurobiology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology