Sucrose density gradients.. HELP!!

A. Hatton MICAH at leeds.ac.uk
Mon Apr 27 07:30:26 EST 1998

I am trying to seprate alumina wear debris generated at the articulating
surfaces of a ceramic on ceramic hip. Tissue digestion methods and solvent
washes have almost successfully removed clean particles from the tissue.
However, contamination still remains and I tried sucrose density gradients to
isolate the alumina (density 3.79mg/l). Solutions upto 150% have proven
unsucessful, with the debris sinking straight to the bottom of the test tube.
Can anybody reccommend a method to isolate this debris using centrifugation?
It is starting to frustrate me immensely.

Thanks for any help.

Anthony Hatton
Department of Microbiology
University of Leeds