Boiling ethidium bromide gel

Dr. Duncan Clark duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 27 04:18:49 EST 1998

In article <6ht3df$mp at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>, Wolfgang Schechinger
<wgschech at med.uni-tuebingen.de> writes
>You just boil your gel after taking the photo? - great! What
>about an increasing background by DNA? is there any?

I 've been doing this for may be the last ten years using TBE gels. What
happens over time is that the agarose gradually becomes more opaque and
less flexible (not due to just evaporation of water), more brittle. You
can reuse them at least 5x. Nowadays agarose isn't as expensive as it
used to be. background fluorescense from DNA is not a problem, possibly
because it is so dilute and sendly, boiling agarose will denature your
DNA. Giving that there is so little it probably never renatures so the
ETBr stains the ssDNA poorly.

Duncan
sliced from time to time....

Duncan Clark