enzymatic cleavage of DNA to small pieces (20-40bp)?

Dom Spinella dspinella at chugaibio.com
Tue Apr 28 09:53:01 EST 1998

"Frank O. Fackelmayer" <fof1 at chclu.chemie.uni-konstanz.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I=B4m currently thinking about enzymatic cleavage of DNA to small fragm=
ents,
> preferentially between 20 and 50bp. Ideally, cleavage should create blu=
nt ends
> that work for cloning. So, DNase I or micrococcal nuclease are not the
> enzymes of choice, also because they don=B4t stop digestion until the D=
NA is
> broken down to TOO short fragments (1-4nucleotides each).
> What I would like to use is a kind of restriction enzyme with a 2bp (or=
 3bp)
> recognition site. I remember that I saw a paper some time back where th=
> authors used something like that, but I don=B4t remember the details (n=
ot even
> if I saw the paper published or it was one I had for review...)
> =

> Does anyone know of a method to break down DNA in the way I described?
> Any hints appreciated,
> Frank

Hi Frank.  Sorry I don't know of any 2 or 3 base-recognizing restriction
enzymes, but what about just cutting your DNA with a series of 4-base
blunt cutters?  I bet a combination digest with Alu I (AGCT), DpnI
(GATC), HaeIII (GGCC) and RsaI (GTAC) -- all of which leave blunt ends
-- would generate average fragment sizes in the range you are looking
for. It might even be over-kill and you could get away with just 3.  In
fact, I remember a protocol in the Red Book a few years ago about
subtracted cDNA libraries that involved generating driver DNA using a
combination of Alu I and Rsa I to yield small fragments like this.
Anyway, just a thought... Good luck.  =

--Dom Spinella