Recipe for Phenol:guanidinium mix?

ELADER at AMBION.COM ELADER at AMBION.COM
Mon Aug 3 10:12:19 EST 1998

> > E.
>
> No, I don't think so ... or not unless the poster wants to *sell*
> the resulting solution.  Simply preparing it for your own use is
> just fine and doesn't break the patent.  Sorry Ambion.
>
>      Bernard
> -- Unfortunately, that is simply not true. A patent covers *all* rights to a

technique and formulation. Do you think that it would be legal for you to
grow Taq in your lab for your own use? Now, whether a company chooses to take
legal action against someone in violation of their patent is another matter.
Except as an 'example', suing an academic lab for infringement wouldn't be
worth the companies time (not to mention being bad for customer relations)
because there's virtually no damages to be collected to offset legal fees.

There's even something called contributory infringement. If you tell someone
how to violate a patent (e.g.`psst, check out this formula for TriZol), you
are also breaking the law. Clearly, patent law and the openness and
coopertivity in academia are quite alien to each other.

Eric