patent infringement again...was Re: Recipe for Phenol:guanidinium mix?

my name ckafer at iastate.edu
Mon Aug 3 22:21:21 EST 1998

The fact that clones are available, along with instructions, implies
nothing about the legality of their subsequent use.  My understanding
is that you can purify kilograms of Taq polymerase if ya want.  The
patent infringement begins when you use it for sequencing,
amplification yadda yadda yadda...

However, isn't the govt.  exempt from patent protections and doesn't
nearly all of our (academic labs that is) collective funding come from
the federal govt...

Has anybody actually ASKED a REAL patent attorney about these issues
or do we keep hashing this over every year or so for fun??