HELP!! transformation problems

Frederik Boernke boernke at nospam.ipk-gatersleben.de
Wed Aug 5 17:16:21 EST 1998

Frank O. Fackelmayer wrote:

> For routine cloning, where maximum competence is not an issue, we always use
> the TSS method of Chung et al.
> It is very reliable once you got it to work.
>
> PS: Do not try to freeze the bacteria. They will go down in competence at
> least a factor of 100. Well, that might still be ok for transformation of
> supercoiled plasmids, but does not work for ligations any more.

Hi!

When I get it right you always have to prepare fresh cells when planning
a transformation, haven't you? So, what is the advantage compared to a
protocol where you can freeze/store the competent cells for ages? In
this
case you prepare once a huge amount of bugs and from time to time you
pull some out of the freezer.

Gruss
Ricky

Frederik Boernke