dicistronic plasmid - help

Victor Levenson levenson at uic.edu
Thu Aug 6 17:54:14 EST 1998

chen at bsm.bioc.ucl.ac.uk (Chen Ho An) wrote:

>Jillian Johnston (johnstoj at acs2.acs.ucalgary.ca) wrote:
>: I have been trying unsuccessfully to make a plasmid that will
>: express both GFP as a marker and another gene.  Both genes are
>: driven by identical CMV promoters and terminated with identical
>: SV40 polyA. >
>
>Try using just one promoter and put the 2 genes in tandem.  See Schoner et
>al Methods in Enzymology 185, 94-103, Ito & Kurosawa, Gene 118, 87-91.

Another way to go is to use a so-called bicistronic vector:
Promoter-MCS-IRES-Marker-PolyA. IRES (internal ribosomal entry site,
usually EMCV) direct translation of the marker, so that all the cells
tat express the marker also express the MCS-inserted gene. There is a
number of such vectors around, so if you need further information just
drop me a note...

Cheers,

Victor Levenson MD/PhD
Res Asst Prof
UIC, Dept of Genetics M/C 669
900 S Ashland Ave                   The one who wants finds HOW
Chicago IL 60607                    The one who doesn't finds WHY
levenson at uic.edu
312-413-3887
312-413-3128 FAX