cell lysis buffer

Fri Aug 7 11:08:57 EST 1998

At 11:23 AM 8/7/98 UNDEFINED, sabine Hanelt wrote:
>Hi netters,
>I need a buffer to lyse adherent cells on a petri dish
>without triton or another detergent.
>Thanks in advance
>Sabine

The simplest thing that comes to mind is the lysis by hypotonic shock. For
animal cells, this should be particularly easy (eons ago (at least that's
how it feels), I used to prepare rabbit retic this way). Freeze-thaw with a
very low molarity buffer (pH7.5?) may also be used (freezing in LiqN2 for
5min, follwed by thawing on ice ... repeated 2 to 3 times); This meth. works
very well for bacterial and yeast cells. In any case, lyses of cells do not
necessarily have to involve detergent(s).

Dr. Hiranya Sankar Roychowdhury
Plant Genetic Engineering Lab.
New Mexico State University
Las Cruces, NM 88003