DH5alphas are growing slowly.

Patrick F.H. Lai pfhlai at LOOKSMART.COM
Sat Aug 8 18:36:51 EST 1998

Hi All !

Here's another misdirected posting from Dr. Gautam.
It's interesting to see that my signature now follows the original
posting regarding slowly growing bacteria on agar plates.
I remember replying to this posting, but where is my reply ? ? ?

Anyway, the original poster, whoever you are, may want to read Dr.
Gautam's reply (below), even though his point (# 2) is the same as
my reply.

Patrick F.H. Lai  <PFHLai at looksmart.com>
Grad student, U of Toronto

---- Begin Original Message ----
Lo behold!! if colonies grow on Amp plates, that means :
1) either the plasmid did not have the amp resistance gene
2) if it did have, then your amp is degraded. Buy a fresh one and use i=
t.
3) are you adding proper concentration of amp ??

> Hello all,
> =3D09      I have a rather strange problem. I have some competent
> DH5a that I made and transformed with a number of plasmids.
> The majority of the plasmids (alll amp resistant) grew up on

> amp plates o/n at 37oC. SOme plasmids however (PRK plasmid with which=

> I am not familiar) did not grow up o/n. I left these plates in a furt=
he=3D
> 24 hours at 37oC and lo and behold colonies were visible (non
> being visible on the cells only plate). Has this happened to anyone b=
ef=3D
> or does anyone think they can explain it? If so I would be delighted =
to=3D
> hear from them. I have never witnessed this before and am at a loss.
>
> Patrick F.H. Lai  < PFHLai at looksmart.com >
> Graduate Student
> University of Toronto
> Toronto, Ontario, Canada