BIAcore

Asteras Amaliadas jm6 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Sun Aug 9 15:33:55 EST 1998

Arne Mueller <amuelle3 at gwdg.de> wrote:

> Can anyone here explain me in short words the principles of Surface
> Plasmon Resonance? I'm, a biologist working with proteins and DNA on a
> BIAcore, and I've to admit I haven't understood the principles of the
> phenomena. So maybe you can give me a quick introduction - only to know
> what happens in this black box machine ... ;-)

Hi all,

I just finished a set of experiments on o BIAcore-X system, so, I have
some experience on BIAcore. I would suggest you to visit the official
Web Site of BIAcore:

http://www.biacore.com/

They explain everything there (both the instumentation and the
principles)!

BIAcore is based on Surface Plasmon Resonance (SPR). If you want to know
what SPR is all about, then read the first two paragraphes of the article:

O'Shannessy, D.J., Brigham-Burke, M., Soneson, K.K., Hensley, P., Brooks,
I. (1994) Determination of rate and equilibrium binding constants for
macromolecular interactions by surface plasmon resonance. Methods Enzymol.
240, 323-349.

Hope that helps,

Yours,

Ioannis Michalopoulos