Chicken antibody opinions

Michael J Reid mjreid*STUFFER* at itsa.ucsf.edu
Mon Aug 10 17:57:24 EST 1998

Hello all,

     My boss has asked me to look into the pros and cons of
switching our antibody production hosts to chickens.  We raise
antisera to protein antigens for use in immunoprecipitation
and Western analyses and for enzyme immunoinhibition.
When polling colleagues opinions I have heard of both good and bad
results from chicken antibodies when compared to rabbits and goats.
The newgroup archive appears to have more questions than
answers on this topic so I thought I would ask again.
     As far as companies for performing the work I am aware of
three possibilities in North America; HTI Bio-Products, Aves Labs and
Gallina Biotechnology.  I am leaning towards the first of these,
mainly because of their price but also because they are reasonably
local.  If you have any opinions on these or other companies
I would be interested to hear about them.  I have no commercial
affiliation with them (or anyone else).

So, I would welcome hearing of other peoples' results (good,
indifferent or fowl) on using IgY in Western and immunoppt
work, especially when compared to rabbit, goat or sheep.
Are good labelled secondary antibodies available?  Is there
any equivalent to Protein A/G for immobilisation or is
covalent coupling (eg. CNBr Sepharose) the only way to go?
     Thanks for any information (and no eggsagerration!),
          Bernard
--
Bernard P. Murray, PhD