Oligo stability in water at -20 C

Michael T. MacDonell sendero at ix.netcom.com
Mon Aug 10 15:47:51 EST 1998

Dear Peter:

It happens, but is insignificant in the time frames we are talking
about.  If the oligo were P32 labled, the you might see appreciable
radiolysis, but not autolysis.  Even if you were discussing huge time
periods, the difference between water, buffer, room temperature, and
-20C would not result in appreciable differrences. It has been shown,
and even published, that freezing and re-thawing does not negatively
impact oligos.

Oligos degrade because of nucleases.  It is relatively unlikely that
you would accidently encounter a sufficient titre of nucleases to
cause substantial degradation of oligos in solution, so Occham's Razor
suggests that bacterial contamination is the likely culprit.

We use only autoclaved water with oligos and attempt to keep our
techniques as aseptic as possible. We have no storage problems, even
over years.

Bacteria are everywhere. It is part of their job.

Best Regards,
Mike