Oligo stability in water at -20 C

Tue Aug 11 15:53:29 EST 1998

AND Paul Writes:
>If you do plan to publish, please include the correct controls since you are...

This is I, the "another fellow at New Mexico",
OK, I give up. I am not planning to publish my "findings" in any manner or
form. One of the netters (Peter) pointed out the futility of this whole
discussion. It is entirely concievable that the water quality varies between
labs and having acidic water will effect "IT" with higher potency (for the
lack of a better term). It is true that EDTA in TE might have protected my
DNA from DNAses. However, when DNase degrades DNA (at 4 C or at RT)it does
so at a speed much faster than what I had observed in this case. Most
certainly, I wouldn't expect the DNA to survive DNase contamination for even
a week at 4C.
        Anyway, I've seeded the idea. If anybody wants to expand and
"publish" on this phenomenon, please feel free to do so. I will live with my
"myth". I also believe that there are a lot of things in science that are
empirical, borne out by simple intuitions and observations. For me, let this
one thing, viz. "autocatalysis of nucleic acids aka acid hydrolysis of
phosphodiester bonds", be maintained without much controversies.

 Everybody to his/her devices... that's what I say.

with regards,

The Fellow at New Mexico ;)

Dr. Hiranya Sankar Roychowdhury
Plant Genetic Engineering Lab.