Oligo stability in water at -20 C

Michael T. MacDonell sendero at ix.netcom.com
Tue Aug 11 23:21:55 EST 1998

Dear Bryan:

I did look for it. I thought I might have referenced it in one of my
papers.  I did not.  As I mentioned earlier, it was published by
Bethesda Research Laboratories (now LTI) in one of the earliest of
their "Focus" newsletters.  I believe you would be able to track it
down by talking with them.

Hold the phone! I just found it.
It is a short report in Focus 5:2
D. Schuster and D. Appleby.
Title: Does freezing and thawing of DNA solutions insert nicks in the
double helix?
Page 10.

They used phi-X 174 DNA and not synthetic oligos.
Results showed that there was no detectable damage from repeated
cycles of  freezing and thawing.

I recall that there were several "Methods" type papers shortly after
this one. It caused a big stir when it was first published (in 1983)
since it flew directly in the face of the conventional wisdom.  Recall
that not a lot was known about fooling around with DNA in 1983.  One
of the follow-up reports dealt with oligos specifically, but I am sure
I will never locate it (or them).

Maybe this will give the proper jolt to someone's memory out there and
they can supply the later reports.

Why is your name familiar? Have we met?

Best Regards,
Mike