Looking for free restriction site analysis software

Dom Spinella dspinella at chugaibio.com
Tue Aug 11 11:28:39 EST 1998

> Is anyone aware of a free program to screen sequences for potential
> restriction sites?
>
> Thanks for your hints!
>
> Beat Reidy
>
> beat.reidy at ipw.agrl.ethz.ch

I don't know of any free software that does this, but there is a website
running a program called Webcutter into which you can paste your DNA
sequence and quickly get restriction sites and other information. The
server is pretty fast and it may meet your needs without having to run a
resident program on your own computer. Even if you can find freeware, it
may not be as fast or versatile. More and more, I think the field is
moving toward DNA sequence analysis with such "distributed resources" on
web-based client-server models (the prototypical example being the BLAST
server at the NLM, but there are dozens of others) and even simple
manipulations like restriction mapping may no longer require in-house
software to perform. You can find the site at:

http://www.medkem.gu.se/cutter/

Hope that helps.
--Dom Spinella