Rat anesthesia

Krzysztof Wasowicz wasowicz at moskit.art.olsztyn.pl
Thu Aug 13 08:17:20 EST 1998

mihalek at formula1.smtp.anes.upmc.edu (Robert M. Mihalek) wrote:

>In article <35C69566.3E07 at med.monash.edu.au>
>David.Nikolic-Paterson at med.monash.edu.au (David Nikolic-Paterson)
>writes:
>
>> We are looking for an 'Ether alternative' for rat anesthesia, due to
>> impending Animal ethics bans.
>> We would like it to be fast acting (less than  3mins) and will keep the
>> rat sedated for at least 5-10 mins. (preferably not longer than 20 mins)
>> We have trialed Halothane but find the rats recover too rapidly and if
>> the dose is increased they do not recover. (We do not use a nebulizer).
>> Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
>
>You could try metofane (methoxyflurane: 2,2-dichloro-1,1-difluoroethyl
>methyl ether), unless this modified ether violates the "ether ban." (By
>the way, what is this ether ban based on?).
>
>Perhaps you could work out a dose of pentobarbital (given i.v.) that
>would knock them out for 5 or 10 minutes. I'd suggest starting with 35
>mg/kg.
>

>Bob Mihalek==================================================
>please remove the name of the RACE SERIES for e-mail replies

I had bad experience with pentobarbital. It is very easy to overdose
if you want to anaesthetise your animal well. Yoy get often apnoe and
I guess some kind of lung oedema. I was using ketamine and xylazine
mixture with good results (don't remember doses) for adrenalectomy
after messing with pentobarbital. It was working well and the
anaesthesia was lasting for 20 min.

Krzysztof Wasowicz, DVM, Ph.D.
Dept of Animal Anatomy
University of Agriculture and Technology
Bldg 105J
10-957 Olsztyn-Kortowo II
Poland
Phone:+48-89-5233733,5233688, Fax:+48-89-5234986
e-mail:wasowicz at moskit.art.olsztyn.pl