Can eukaryotic promoter direct gene expression in prokaryotes??

Harold J. Drabkin hdrabkin at user1.channel1.com
Fri Aug 14 11:29:24 EST 1998

On 23 Jul 1998 17:44:06 -0500, jaishre at ksu.edu (Jaishree Muppala
Chittoor) wrote:

>Hi,
>I have this burning question!  Can eukaryotic promoter direct gene
>expression in prokaryotes.  I am particularly interested in plant
>promoters and the possibility of the expression in bacterial system
>say agrobacterium.

The LTR promoter in RSV virus has a fortuitous promoter that works in
e.coli.  The vecotr pRSVCAT works in both mammalian cells and in
e.coli.  THere was a  paper in MCB by Malamey (SP?) ; the polymerases
are not using the same sequences, it's just that there happens to be
the required promoter elements for each polymerase within the same
broad region.