Ligation - blunt vs single base overhang

Shiao Wang Shiao.Wang at usm.edu
Wed Aug 19 23:18:41 EST 1998

Does anyone know the difference in ligation efficiency between blunt end
DNA and DNA with a single base overhang? I think I saw this expressed in
terms of transformation efficiency in a brochure once.

I have blunt ended DNA generated with restriction enzymes that I would
like to make a library with. To increase cloning efficiency, I'm
thinking of adding complementary single base overhangs to the inserts
and vector with Taq. Just wondering whether this will be worthwhile.

Thanks for your attention.

--
Shiao Y. Wang
Department of Biological Sciences