Oligo stability in water at -20 C

GR Taylor PhD MRCPath G.R.Taylor at dial.pipex.com
Thu Aug 20 12:10:22 EST 1998

Chris Boyd <chrisb at hgu.mrc.ac.uk> wrote in article
<6qn0b8$b78 at scotsman.ed.ac.uk>...
> Some years ago, there was a discussion on this ng about oligos going
> faster than buffer-dissolved oligos (even at -20 C with no thawing) due
> to (eg) autohydrolysis? Has anyone any data on this, or any other
> thoughts about oligo stability? I see no reason why oligos that are OK
> to start with, and stored in suitable sterile enzyme-free media,
> shouldn't last for years.

We were told years ago (when we used to make our own oligos) by ABI (I
think it was) that freeze-thawing is what does your oligos in, although I
don't know what the mechanism for this degradation is supposed to be.  We
have kept useful stocks of oligos at -20 for years by storing in liquid
form, either in concentrated ammonium hydroxide (not easy to pipette from)
or in 50% glycerol-TE.  The oligos are stored at 100micromolar usually.
Seems to work.

Graham