deaerate or not deaerate

Thu Aug 20 12:07:00 EST 1998

At 04:20 PM 8/20/98 +0200, Zbigniew Rudzki wrote:
>Does degasing of polyacrylamide belong to the group of totally magic and
>irrational procedures contaminating molecular biology ?
>Today, forced by the technical reasons, I tried for the first time to skip
>it and I added twice as much TEMED as usually (20 uL per 70 mL).  It
>resulted in an almost instant catastrophic polymerization :)
>
>So what is your opinion on degasing, after all rather troublesome a
>procedure ?
>
>Zbigniew Rudzki
>Department of Pathology
>Jagiellonian University
>Krakow, Poland

Yeah! This is another one in a long series of protocol myths. However, I
think the deaeration of acrylamide is an age old practice that started a
very long time back when people had to "re-crystalize" acrylamide obtained
from the vendor. However, the availability of the high-quality
molecular/electrophoresis-grade stuff nowadays obviates this step. But, I
still do, just as a matter of habit.  |:+

Hiranya.

Dr. Hiranya Sankar Roychowdhury
Plant Genetic Engineering Lab.
New Mexico State University