water DNase and RNase free

Peter pxpst2 at SPAM.SUXS.unixs.cis.pitt.edu
Thu Aug 20 09:51:27 EST 1998

In article <199808191626493 at pfhlai.looksmart.com>, pfhlai at LOOKSMART.COM
("Patrick F.H. Lai") wrote:

> ---- Begin Original Message ----
> There was an earlier debate about the pH of distilled water.  I wonder how
> acidic it is after dumping a bunch of carbonate (one of the breakdown products
> of DEPC) in it?
> Nick Thedorakis
> ---- End Original Message ----
> Dear Nick,
> Well, I also wonder if the carbonate stays after the autoclaving and
> sightly lowers the pH, is this better for the RNA ?

The carbonate will stay in solution because when autoclaving liquids. What
it does to the RNA? I have no idea.   But hydrolysis of a diester bond is
reversible under acidic conditions while it is irreversable under basic
conditions so if the choice is between acidic or basic conditions, I would
assume the acidic to be better.

"Don't you eat that yellow snow
        Watch out where the huskies go"    FZ