inhibitors of DNA-binding proteins

theodorn at medlib.georgetown.edu theodorn at medlib.georgetown.edu
Wed Aug 26 12:09:06 EST 1998

In article <6rv2ij$he5 at neuro.usc.edu>,
  william at neuro.usc.edu (William Sun) wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Can anyone think of an example(s) where a small molecule (MW < 500) can
> inhibit a DNA-binding protein (e.g. transcription factors)?
>
> --
> William Sun, Ph.D
> Metabasis Therapeutics, Inc.           Phone: (619) 622-3930
> 9390 Towne Centre Drive                FAX:   (619) 622-5545
> San Diego, CA 92121                    Email: william at alum.mit.edu

If you want to get much smaller than 500 daltons, you might be out of luck.
This reminds me of a "rule-of-thumb" we had in a lab I used to work in.  If
you wanted to guess the molecular weight of an inhibitor (e.g., to do a quick
and dirty estimate of the molar concentration), then assume it's 500 daltons.
 Most of the ones that we used had a molecular weight within 10-20% of that
figure. We called it "Cleveland's Rule: The molecular weight of anything
(ie., any inhibitor) is 500."  I'll look around at the ones in the lab later
to see how well it holds up.

Nick Theodorakis