Postscript problems in printing acrobat files from Wiley Interscience

tom chappell t.chappell at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Aug 27 11:56:46 EST 1998

B. T. <B.T. at om.mars.eille> wrote:

> In article <bpmurray*STUFFER*-2608982020430001 at macmac-2.ucsf.edu>,
> bpmurray*STUFFER*@socrates.ucsf.edu (Bernard P. Murray, PhD) wrote:
>
> > > I apologise if this is not entirely a methods problem but reading articles
> > > is part of science too.
> > > I am running a PowerPC G3/266 with an HP LaserJet 4000TN printer.
> > > I have been downloading pdf files from Wiley Interscience and they open as
> > > Acrobat documents but when I try to print them I get told that there is a
> > > postscript error.
> >
> > I see this when the file is large and the printer does not have
> > enough memory (a frequent problem with our old LaserWriter).
> > When sent to a printer with more memory it prints just fine.
> > This seems to be more of a problem since the Adobe reader moved
> > from v2.x to v3.  I can't find a workaround so I'd be pleased
> > to hear of any (apart from buy a new printer).
> >      Bernard
>
> We have exactly the same problem. Any suggestion (apart from the too
> obvious one) would be much appreciated.
>
>   B.T.
>
> (note: this thread has been crossposted to <list.comp.software.adobe.acrobat>

There is a problem with using the Laserwriter 8 driver to print the
pdf's that are generated by Cell, Science, Nature, etc. At least one of
these journals has a special comment about it on the web page. I have
found that everything I've downloaded can be printed using the PSPrinter
driver instead. I just have desktop printers set up for using the 2
different drivers for running my Laserprinter (Apple 630). They almost
always fail with LW8 (if I forget to change to PSPrinter) with a
Postscript error.

I also just checked and Epson's StylusRIP driver for printing Postscript
to their inkjet printers also fails with a Postscript error on a Cell
pdf.