Any quick Insect DNA prep for PCR out there?

drdad at ktc.com drdad at ktc.com
Sat Aug 29 01:39:02 EST 1998

Hi!

I am trying to do PCR on individual insects from field collections.  Since
I have large numbers to test, I was wondering if anyone has heard of or
used a quick prep for DNA that would give acceptable results in PCR.

Ideally, I could squash the insect (a horn fly, about the size of a house
fly) in an eppendorf tube in the presence of buffer and/or the DNA
purifying resin, then take an aliquot of the supernatant and transfer it
into my PCR reaction mix.

I might be wishing for too much, but I thought I would ask this group!

Thanks,

Felix D. Guerrero, Ph. D.