LipofectAMINE fluorescent

Evans, Krista KEvans at lifetech.com
Mon Aug 31 10:05:23 EST 1998

>From: "Tam Anh Le" <leta at svhm.org.au>
>Subject: Lipfectamine fluorescent
>Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 04:46:47 +1000
>Hi all
>I've just started using lipofectamine from Gibco (life technologies) to
>transfect mouse Rho0 cells, however in the initial experiments I used a
>pGreen plasmid ( which codes a for a fluorescent protein). I found in the
>control of Rho0 cells and lipofectamine only that fluorescent activity was
>quiet intense in comparison to my autofluorescent control ( ie Rho0 cells
>only). My question is that although the intensity of the combination of
>pGreen plasmid with lipofectamine was higher than all controls :
>1. has anyone notice the same thing with this particular transfecting
>reagent?
>2. is there a way of eliminating this problem of fluorescent caused by the
>lipofectamine.
>-with regards
>t.l

>Tam Anh Le
>Clinical Neuroscience
>St Vincent Hospital Melbourne.

Various cationic lipids frequently exhibit a white to orange color
fluorescence when added to cells.  DMRIE-C transfection reagent has a low
background fluorescence with FITC conditions;  much lower fluorescence than
you are seeing with LipofectAMINE.

Krista Evans
Associate Scientist
Life Technologies, Inc.