Drying SDS-PAGE gels

Brett Lindenbach brett at BORCIM.WUSTL.EDU
Thu Dec 3 11:47:49 EST 1998

>To: methods at net.bio.net
>From: klenchin at REMOVE_TO_REPLY.facstaff.wisc.edu (Dima Klenchin)
>Subject: Re: Drying SDS-PAGE gels
>Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 15:45:14 GMT
>
>In article <3666609F.6E1457E0 at mbi.uib.no>, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Bj=F8rn?= Olav
>Kvamme <Bjorn.Kvamme at mbi.uib.no> wrote:
>>Hi,
>>i'm purifying and analysing several small proteins. One standard method
>>used is to run high percentage (25%) SDS-PAGE gels. The gels are
>>standard minigels runned in a BioRad Minigel system with standard
>>buffers and composition. This is working well, but the problem arises
>>when I tries to dry the gels using a BioRad Vacum Geldryer system (Model
>>583 Gel Dryer, http://www.bio-rad.com/55368.html). The gels cracks
>>badly.
>>

>Never tried such high % but for all gels we equalibrate with 30% MeOH,
>3% glycerol and dry between cellophane sheets o/n. Have yet to see
>a cracked gel.
>
>        - Dima

Why not use a Tricine gel?  They give far superior resolution at lower
acrylamide concentration, plus they dry nicely.  If indeed you are going
to be working with several small proteins, I'd strongly recommend you
make the switch.  I ran one lat week to examine a small 41-mer peptide
in a complex synthesis reaction, with nice results.

Brett Lindenbach
brett at borcim.wustl.edu
Dept of Molecular Microbiology