quantitate gene expression - which method?

mkbarnhart at uh.edu mkbarnhart at uh.edu
Thu Dec 3 12:15:10 EST 1998

In article <744q1n$n1e at neuro.usc.edu>,
  william at neuro.usc.edu (William Sun) wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm interested in quantitating the expression of a particular gene within
> rat heart after treatment with some hormones.  But I'm faced with several
> choices in regards to methods. Which one of the following is the best
> (and most believable) method and why?:
>
> 1) northern blot
> 2) RNase protection assay
> 3) RT-PCR
> 4) in situ hybridization
>
> Thanks for any input.
>
> --
> William Sun, Ph.D
> Metabasis Therapeutics, Inc.           Phone: (619) 622-3930
> 9390 Towne Centre Drive                FAX:   (619) 622-5545
> San Diego, CA 92121                    Email: william at alum.mit.edu

The answer to your question depends on several factors.  I'm assuming you
want to measure RNA accumulation.  If the amount of RNA you get is not
limiting, then RNase protection is the method of choice.  If you have only a
tiny sample, then you might want to work with quantitative PCR.

Good Luck,
Michael